What is Magnesium-Nitride?
Magnesium Nitride is an inorganic compound having the chemical formula Mg3N2. It’s part the quantum system of cubic crystals. At low temperatures, pure magnesium Nitride is a greenish yellow powder However, magnesium nitride that has parts of magnesium oxide particles is grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium oxide is 100.95g/mol. This mineral’s density is 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is completely dissolvable in water and acid, but it is partially dissolved in the ether and ethanol.
The melting point of magnesium nitride can be found at 1500 degrees. Magnesium Nitride, along with other metal nitrides water to make ammonia. A catalyst is often employed. They react with acid or nonmetallic oxides , forming ammonium salts and magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a form of ceramic in nature. Magnesium-nitride has superior corrosion resistance and greatly improves productivity. Magnesium has high thermal conductivity, aswell being highly resistant to corrosion as well as resistance to temperature. Magnesium Nitride is of further significance since it’s used as a catalyst to aid in the synthesizing of boron.
What is Magnesium Nitride used for?
1. Use as a catalyst to you are preparing the nitride of other elements with high hardness as well as high thermal conductivity. wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and very high-temperature resistance. In the first successful synthesizing of cubic boron, its catalyst was magnesium nitride.
2. The product is designed for use as high strength steel Smelting additives. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) replaces the magnesium that has been desulphurized for construction melting, which helps for increasing the density, strength tension, and bearing force of steel. Additionally, the use of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurizationwill lower the amount of other ingredients, and thus help to lower the cost of manufacturing construction steel.
3. Used to prepare special ceramic materials;
4. For the production of a special alloy foaming agent;
5. For manufacturing special glass;
6. Catalytic polymer crosslinking
7. To reuse nuclear waste
How to Produce Magnesium Nitride?
The main methods for making magnesium nitride include direct reaction method for magnesium powder using nitrogen, the method for resolving the nitrogen with magnesium in nitrogen plasma flow as well as the method for the explosion of magnesium coils in nitrogen atmosphere the low pressure chemical gas supplementing method for product, self-propagating high temperature synthesis procedure, nano magnesium nitride method of synthesis and more.
Recently, G. Soto et al. produced amorphous magnesium-nitride films with different Mg/N ratios on Si substrates in a molecular nitrogen atmosphere using pulse laser deposition. These techniques limit their production for industrial use due to the high price, lengthy process complicated equipment operation or the low yield of magnesium nitride.
The direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen holds commercial value, the manufacture of magnesium nitride powder requires greater reaction temperatures and a longer processing time. The form of the particles is a bit lopsided as well as easy to agglomerate which does not meet needs of industrial grade. The decomposition of NH3 may be accomplished into Nwhich has broken bonds faster than N2 and H2 decomposed may interfere with the formation process of MgO, so ammonia gas can be used as a nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. used ammonia liquid as a nitrogen source for the preparation of magnesium nitride material by direct Nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions can be drawn from thermodynamic analysis, liquid ammonia can react with magnesium powder quicker than nitrogen to prepare magnesium nitride. Good quality magnesium nitride powder with homogeneous and pure powder particles can be made at 600 degrees Celsius and in ammonia-based atmosphere for 1 h, then heated up to 800°C, with an ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min and an nitriding duration of 1h.
Magnesium Nitride Powder Mg3N2
We are a reliable global chemical material supplier and manufacturer with over 12 years’ experience in providing high-end chemicals and nanomaterials. Examples include silicon, nitride powder, graphite , zinc sulfide, calcium nitride, 3D printing powder, etc.
If you’re looking for top-quality Mg3N2 powder then please reach us via email and submit an inquiry. (firstname.lastname@example.org)